With our increasingly diverse employee bases, it's crucial to recognize and honor the holidays that matter across our teams. Recognizing holidays can reinforce your organization's commitment to DEI, while enhancing employee engagement and retention.
The value of recognizing DEI holidays
Observing DEI holidays fosters cultural awareness, helping employees understand and appreciate the diverse backgrounds of their colleagues. Celebrating these holidays also conveys that your organization is committed to fostering an inclusive workplace.
Holiday celebrations provide an excellent opportunity to increase engagement through team-building activities that celebrate diversity and promote collaboration.
As you build out your DEI strategy, consider the following:
- Training programs: DEI training programs should bring awareness to the differences and similarities of people across teams while educating employees on the importance of continual learning and open communication.
- Inclusive holiday calendar: Create an inclusive calendar highlighting upcoming DEI holidays so leaders and employees can plan accordingly for time off and participate in celebrations.
- Interactive workshops: Organize interactive workshops, facilitated by community experts, during which employees can share their cultural experiences and traditions related to these holidays.
Use the Electives DEI holiday calendar to support your employees
Keeping track of all the holidays your employees celebrate be time-intensive. That’s why we create an annual calendar – and monthly lists – that include the most commonly observed holidays in the U.S. along with DEI-specific celebrations and awareness opportunities.
Consider using our DEI holiday calendars to:
- Accommodate employees needing time off or flexible schedules for religious or cultural observances.
- Develop resource kits with information about the history and significance of DEI holidays for employees' reference.
- Extend DEI holiday celebrations beyond the workplace by engaging in community outreach activities.
- Establish a feedback loop with employees to refine and improve your DEI holiday calendar and initiatives.
Monthly DEI holiday calendars
Want to do a deep dive into upcoming holidays and observances? Check out our monthly DEI holiday blog posts:
January DEI holiday calendar
January class collections:
February DEI holiday calendar
February class collections:
March DEI holiday calendar
March class collections:
April DEI holiday calendar
April class collections:
May DEI holiday calendar
May is Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. Mental Health Awareness Month is also celebrated in May to raise awareness of those living with mental or behavioral health issues and to reduce the stigma around mental health. Click here for a listing of May holidays.
June class collections:
June DEI holiday calendar
June class collections:
July DEI holiday calendar
July isn’t just for barbecues and vacations. It’s also Disability Pride Month, an opportunity to recognize the accomplishments and contributions of the disabled community. Click here for a listing of July holidays.
July class collections:
August DEI holiday calendar
August class collections:
September DEI holiday calendar
September brings with it Hispanic Heritage Month, and education is one of the best ways to honor Hispanic Americans — both during Hispanic Heritage Month and throughout the year. Click here for a listing of September holidays.
September class collections:
October DEI holiday calendar
October is Global Diversity Awareness Month and National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM)— a great time to make sure your hiring practices and work environments are equitable. Click here to explore more October holidays.
October class collections:
- Global Diversity Awareness Month
- National Disability Employment Awareness Month
- World Mental Health Day
November DEI holiday calendar
November class collections:
December DEI holiday calendar
December is chock-full of holidays like Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and Christmas. December is also the Month of Giving, a time dedicated to philanthropy, volunteerism and spreading kindness in the spirit of generosity. Click here to explore December holidays.
December class collections:
Grow your people with Electives.
Electives is bringing live learning within your reach.
Designed for lean People teams who are frustrated with traditional corporate training, when you work with Electives, you immediately gain access to hundreds of live classes delivered by unforgettable instructors.