Keeping your best employees is critical to success in our dynamic business landscape, and a robust L&D program is one of the most in-demand employee perks. However, not all learning platforms lead to employee retention.
Ditching the learning “bandaids”
Let's face it — corporate training isn’t always a great experience.
L&D programs can be expensive and time-consuming to develop. As a result, many organizations implemented fragmented learning solution “bandaids” that prioritize asynchronous learning while minimizing organizational, team and individual needs. The long-term result is a disengaged workforce and under-utilization of learning platforms.
The first step toward transformative change is recognizing the limitations of asynchronous learning libraries and planning a more cohesive L&D approach. Employee retention comes from investing in quality learning that aligns with organizational goals to make a real impact.
A strong learning culture requires multi-level buy-in
A strong learning culture supports employee engagement and retention initiatives, but strong learning cultures are not created with quick-fix learning solutions. Developing a learning culture requires multi-level buy-in.
Learning and business objectives must be aligned and communicated to engage leaders and employees in learning opportunities. Likewise, learning experiences must be engaging and enjoyable for employees to prioritize attendance.
Your company's unique growth plans and values should be at the forefront of your strategy. Understanding your employees' future needs and gaining transparency into existing skills gaps helps your organization move from a reactive stance to a proactive one.
Charting a course for lasting employee retention
Retaining employees requires investing in their development. You can better engage and retain your best employees by breaking free from “quick fixes” to create a true learning culture.
Actions HR + people leaders can take to boost retention through learning:
- Calculate your learning platform utilization: What percentage of your employees use your current platform, and how often do they use it?
- Review your learning objectives: Are they aligned with your business goals?
- Assess your learning program communications: Do leaders and employees understand the learning strategy and opportunities available?
- Invest in comprehensive employee development: Work with a team that can create a tailored training program that aligns with your learning objectives and culture.
- Recognize and reward achievements: Implement recognition programs to acknowledge learning achievements and foster a sense of pride and accomplishment.
Empower your people. Propel your company.
Electives makes top-tier learning accessible with minimal effort — perfectly suited for lean teams and limited budgets. Deliver specialized training for leadership, new managers and other employee groups to accelerate growth – or offer individualized training aligned with personal and company goals.